- Wavelength: 1240-1380 nm or 1340-1495 nm or 1450-1650 nm or 1490-1640 nm
- Sweep speeds: up to 200 nm/s, bidirectional
- Max. power: > +12 dBm peak (Options 114, 116, 216) or > +13 dBm peak (Option 113)
- Signal to SSE ratio: ≥ 80 dB/nm typical
- Absolute wavelength accuracy: ±1.5 pm typical
The 81606A tunable laser source is the top line module for the 8164B lightwave measurement system. It has been designed to reach an accuracy level and to increase test efficiency by enabling faster swept-wavelength tests with lower cost of ownership.
This accelerates the automated adjustment of wavelength-selective devices with sub-picometer repeatability, best-in-class accuracy and the two-way sweep mode at up to 200 nm/s speed.
The 81606A Tunable Laser Source helps optical component developers, designers and manufacturers test more devices per hour and improves test margins with significantly enhanced functionality over its predecessor, the 81600B laser, the industry standard for more than a decade. It offers:
- 15 dB more dynamic range through high signal power at lowest spontaneous emission, enabled by the cavity and laser module design,
- A 4-fold improvement in absolute accuracy with increased real-time tracking speed and resolution, enabled by the novel wavelength reference unit,
- Sweeps at up to 200 nm/s without impacting the specified dynamic accuracy, enabled by enhanced feedback controls and drive mechanics.
The 81606A tunable laser source is supported by the N7700A photonic application suite software for spectral measurements of insertion loss, polarization dependent loss and dispersion in combination with power meters and polarization instruments. These provide optimal swept-wavelength accuracy and dynamic range.
Please also consider the new N7776C tunable laser source for a more compact version.
Interested in a 81606A?
Featured Resources for 81606A Tunable Laser Source, High Power and Lowest SSE, Top-Line
Application Notes 2017.11.30
Continuous-Sweep Tunable Laser Programming
Application Notes 2018.11.12
Wavelength-dependence Measurements for 100G-LR4 Components
Application Notes 2018.10.09
Calibrating Optical Paths in Spectral Test Stations using the N7700A IL/PDL Software Engine
Technical Overviews 2016.02.25
Tunable Laser Source Families
Lightwave Catalog: Test & Measurement Networks and Data Centers
Data Sheets 2020.07.06
8160xA Family of Tunable Laser Sources
Quick Start Guides 2019.04.30
8160xx Series Tunable Laser Family - Getting Started Guide
User Manuals 2019.04.30
8160xx Series Tunable Laser Family - User's Guide