The W1903 Fixed-Point Library enables system architects to see finite-precision effects on overall system performance, before having to commit to an FPGA, DSP, or ASIC implementation target. The Fixed-Point Library also provides bit-true, finite-precision blocks as well as simulator support for block-level statistics and analytical insights for all fixed point signal processing implementations.
Blocks can be set for any number of bits of integer and overall precision, and have parameters for common hardware behaviors, such as wrap-around and saturation on underflow and overflow. Statistics regarding the actual performance of each block are calculated during a dataflow simulation, allowing key dynamic range and word-length insights for communications systems. Architects can be aware very early in the design process of the need for more computational and memory resources, and make partitioning and targeting decisions accordingly.
The W1903 Fixed Point Library is an indispensible module for hardware design of all kinds, and is a pre-requisite for the VHDL/Verilog code generation in the W1717 Hardware Design Kit.
Note: The W1903 Fixed-Point Library is now included in the W1717 Hardware Design Kit. To order the fixed-point library capability, you should now purchase the W1717.
Figure 1. The W1903 Fixed-point library helps system architects anticipate and troubleshoot fixed point effects that affect system level performance, while remaining target-neutrality.
- Study performance of communications system architectures that combine real RF + DSP
- Investigate baseband architectures for comms signal processing
- Rapid prototyping and HDL code-generation, when used with the W1717 Hardware Design Kit
Fixed-point model support
- Over 45 fixed-point models, including CORDIC, FFT, logical gates, FIR bit true linear filters, and square root and division for advanced DSP algorithms
- Support multi-rate simulations, and easy polymorphic swapping between floating point, fixed point, and HDL models
- Diagnostic report show fixed point statistics for pin-level overflows, underflows, dynamic range
- Supports HDL code-generation, when used with the W1717 Hardware Design Kit, for rapid prototyping of DSP algorithms and baseband architectures
- Bit true operators
- Fully parameterizable blocks
- Signed and unsigned support
- Rounding and truncation modes
- Saturation and “wrap round” choices
- Gives accurate DSP, FPGA, ASIC behaviors with fast simulation speed, for wide variety of signal processing implementations
Figure 2. The W1903 Fixed-point library provides over 45 signal processing blocks with bit true behaviors, and also provides a path to VHDL/Verilog code-generation. The W1903 is now included with the W1717.
Figure 3. The W1903 library produces a “Red X” tabular summary of simulation statistics for each fixed point I/O pin, noting underflow, overflow, and diagnostic information that can be used to optimize system throughput and area.
W1903 Fixed-Point Library is included in what bundles?
The W1903 Fixed-Point Library is now included in the W1717 Hardware Design Kit. To order the fixed-point library capability, you should now purchase the W1717, or one of the above configurations that includes the W1717.
Visit Keysight SystemVue Electronic System Level Design Software for more information.