For cell designers and cell users evaluating cells for user in their designs:
- 1-Channel Self-Discharge Measurement System
- 0.025% current measurement accuracy for discharge currents up to 10 mA
- 0.0016% cell voltage measurement accuracy for cell voltages up to 4.5V
- ± 10 μVpk source voltage stability (typical).
- System accurately measures self-discharge current in minutes or hours.
- Software for instrument control, graphing of results, data logging and storage.
The Keysight Self-Discharge Measurement System delivers a revolutionary reduction in the time required to measure cell self-discharge current. For smaller cells like cylindrical 18650 or 21700 cells, testing indicates that you can quickly measure stable self-discharge current in as little as 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the cell characteristics. And for larger capacity pouch cells (e.g., 10-60 Ah), this takes as little as1-4 hours.
That‘s a significant improvement compared to waiting weeks or months for the cell OCV to change enough to determine cell quality. And it significantly decreases your test cycle and improves your time to market.
The Self-Discharge Measurement System quickly measures self-discharge current using a potentiostatic measurement method with the characteristics needed to accurately make the direct current measurement:
- Minimum disturbance of the cell
- The voltage applied to the cell is quickly matched (± 5 μV) to the actual cell voltage. This minimizes any new charge or discharge and thus limits any new RC settling to a minimum.
- The voltage applied to the cell is very stable (± 10 μVpk) to minimize continuing charge redistribution current noise on the self-discharge current measurement.
- Accurately measures low-level self-discharge currents to ±(0.025% + 100nA)
The Self-Discharge Measurement System also measures the cell temperature. This allows you to see how cell voltage and self-discharge current vary with temperature. Since cells have a complex temperature coefficient for their voltage, monitoring cell temperature allows you to control or eliminate changes in cell voltage caused by changes in temperature. And controlling those voltage changes eliminates a significant source of error in the self-discharge current measurement. You can use the T-type thermocouple supplied with the BT2191A or provide your own sensor and wiring. Supported sensors include T, J, K, E, N, R-type thermocouples; 5kΩ thermistor; Pt100 & Pt1000 RTDs.
Interested in a BT2191A?
Extend the Capabilities for your Self-Discharge Measurement System
Data Sheets 2021.01.24
BT2191A / BT2192A Self-Discharge Measurement System and Software
Application Notes 2019.05.20
Removing Noise in Lithium-Ion Battery Cell Self-Discharge
Application Notes 2022.05.09
Matching Response Times of Lithium-Ion Cell Self-Discharge Current Measurements
Reference Guides 2020.03.22
BT2155A Evaluation Guide
Data Sheets 2022.02.08
BT2152B Self-Discharge Analyzer, BT2155A Self-Discharge Analysis Software
User Manuals 2017.07.29
BT2191A and BT2192A Lithium-Ion Self-Discharge Measurement System and Software User Guide
E-Mobility: Innovative Design & Test Solutions for the Electric Powertrain and HEV/EV Ecosystem