5G New Radio (NR) is a fast-evolving standard designed to cover a broad set of use cases — enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB), ultra-reliable low latency communication (URLLC), and massive machine communication (mMTC).
As with prior cellular generations, the protocol layers are being redesigned, and frequency ranges adjusted to permit higher data rates, lower latency, and better efficiency. 5G NR has the potential to dramatically expand the capacity of cellular communications with the introduction of the use of millimeter-wave and beamforming. Operating at higher frequencies (officially named FR2 – for Frequency Range Two), we now must consider non-conductive, over‑the‑air measurements.
In this 5G Boot Camp, you will learn the new paradigms defined by 3GPP Rel 15/16 and the critical implications for engineers working on components, user equipment (UE), and network infrastructure.
You will learn new approaches to overcome the most significant challenges in both sub-6 GHz and mmWave spectrum via case studies for signal quality, MIMO/beamforming, over-the-air test, channel characterization, network emulation, UE testing, and field test.
After completing the 5G Boot Camp, you will leave with valuable insights that will help you prepare for developing and deploying products across the 5G ecosystem.
9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Dates and Locations
Tuesday, December 10
The Westin Westminster
10600 Westminster Boulevard
Westminster, CO 80020
Thursday, December 12
Hilton Denver Inverness
200 Inverness Drive West
Englewood, CO 80112
Thursday, January 16
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
11966 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130
9:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. — Registration
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. — Welcome and Introductions
5G NR TECHNOLOGIES OVERVIEW
10:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Technology Overview and Timelines
- NR Non-standalone and Standalone
- Carrier Aggregation and Bandwidth Adaptation
- Numerology & Frame Structure
- Waveforms and Modulations
- Protocol Structure, Layers, Signals and Channels
- Beams, Beamforming and Beam Management
- Initial Access Procedure, Example Call Flows
- Network Architecture, Deployment Options
- New Features Coming in Rel 16
12:15 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. — Lunch
KEY MEASUREMENT CHALLENGES AND CASE STUDIES
1:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
- Market Trends, 5G NR Specifications, Implications, and Timing
- 5G NR Signal Quality
- MIMO and Beamforming
- Connect Design and Test
- Evolution from Cabled to Radiated Requirements
2:15 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. — Q&A / Break
2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Characterizing the Channel
- 5G NR Network Emulation and UE testing
- Field Testing, Drive Test
4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. — Social Hour