I just received my Agient MSOX3024 oscillosope. Wow! This thing really rocks. I've been giving it a good workout, trying all of the features I can think of. However, during this process, I decided to calibrate my probes. Unfortunately I get no response when tweaking the adjustment pots in the probes. After trying two probes on channel 1, I decided to try channel 2. When I did this, the oscilloscope apparently lost its marbles and started doing all kinds of weird things. It could not display a waveform properly after that, and all channels were useless, displaying giberish. I finally got the scope back to normal after having to reload the latest firmware.
Has anyone else here with a 3000X tried compensating thier probes? My probes are the N2863B models. I think Agilent may have major bug here in the fimware and a dead probe comp problem.
I hadn't realized (or even noticed) the probe compensation trimmer on the probe end. That did the trick, and I can do the low frequency compensation now. I also am unable to reproduce the problem that caused me to have to reload the firmware. I apparently don't remember the exact key sequences I entered because I can't reproduce it. I did power cycle the unit before reloading the firmware and it did not fix the problem. The problem basically resulted in all of the waveforms looking choppy as opposed to smooth, kind of as if the the screen resolution was very poor. I also noticed that when I injected a square wave pulse train and then zoomed out on it, the pulses before and after the trigger were greatly attenuated.
So anyway, the probe comp problem is no problem at all and I can't reproduce the scope going haywire so I'm not going to worry about it. False alarm I guess.
I know what happened now, with regard to the scope losing its marbles, going haywire, etc. I just experience the same problem when compensating probes again. I repowered the scope, still the same problem existed. While compensating another probe, the scope invoked averaging, 8 averages, and did not reset to zero averaging when done. That's why waveforms looked bad after that. After I turned off averaging, everything was fine, no firmware upload needed. This is a software bug, and I hope Agilent will correct it.