LAN Connection using Telnet
When communicating with a LAN instrument using TELNET, do the following.
- Use a LAN cable and connect to the instrument. If doing direct connection, see the note on connecting directly to an instrument without a router.
- Test the connection. Either:
- Type the IP address into a web browser. The web page should be displayed. Click on “Advanced information” and find the SCPI Telnet Port. For most Keysight products this is 5024.
- Test your connection by opening a DOS window, (Run -> "cmd" -> OK from the START menu of many Windows operating systems). Type ping and the IP address of the product.
- Run Telnet. (Run -> "telnet" -> OK from the START menu of many Windows operating systems)
- At the command line, type the following: open XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX PPPP where “XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX” is the IP address and “PPPP” is the port (5024 for most Keysight products).
- Enter the commands for the product. CTRL-C is a device clear.
- When finished, close the connection and exit Telnet. To do this using the Microsoft Telnet Client (as described above), close the window.