What is Cover-Extend Technology?
Cover-Extend Technology (CET) is a hybrid between VTEP and boundary scan. It draws the best from what each technology offers and enhances the overall capability of Agilent in-circuit test systems.
How does it work?
1. The VTEP sensor, which is able to pick up capacitatively coupled stimulus signals, is placed on the component to be tested (e.g. a connector).
2. Traditional VTEP methodology required physical test access (i.e. test probes) to deliver this stimulus signal. However, with Cover-Extend, the stimulus signal is delivered via a boundary scan device.
3. The boundary scan device does not require test probes on every pin.
4. As per the IEEE 1149.1 standard, using only the test access port, users can deliver the necessary stimulus signal to the connector.
5. A defect (e.g. an open) on the path between the boundary scan device and the VTEP sensor will affect the stimulus signal that is bound for the sensor.
6. The result is captured and diagnosed by the ICT system and thus, the defect is detected!